Teach.com

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Why Should You Have a Blog?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thepapergoose/with/310106061/
     Tuesday night on Edchat we discussed how blogs effect education in the 21st century.  We started by discussing students but ended up talking about teachers and administrators having blogs.  The bottom line was that most of us agreed that students should blog and teachers/administrators should lead by example.

     So if you don't have a blog, then why should you think about having one?  Here are some ideas to get you thinking.

     As a teacher you need to decide if the blog will be for yourself, for your classroom, or for your school.  Or, it could be a composite blog dealing with all of those topics and even clubs or organizations you are involved with or sponsor.  Here are a few lists of educator blogs you might want to look at to see what works for you. (here and here)

     There were a few people who, rightfully, stated that they worry about getting in trouble for their comments.   I know I always read, and re-read, and re-read again, my posts before I hit "publish post."  That's because I not only want to make sure I don't have any spelling errors or grammatical errors, but I want to make sure that if I am making any comments that might upset someone.  This is especially important when you teach in a small town like I do.  Everybody knows everybody in town.  Heck, teachers don't even buy alcohol within the town limits (if they are smart) so that no one can question their  character.

    So, unless you want to be controversial, feel free to write down your thoughts, ideas, and hopes.  Most people will just read the words and move on.  Some, if you are lucky, will leave a comment (make sure you set up to have comments done in a fairly easy way - you WANT comments).  Remember that if you do get a comment then write a comment back to that person or maybe to a group of people who have left comments.  And, if you do feel like having a controversial blog then maybe teaching isn't for you.  Try another line of work where you can go wild with your posts.

     You've decided to start a blog.  You've decided what angle you want to use for your "theme."  And, you are ready for your first post.  Don't beat yourself up about how long it is.  Don't beat yourself up about needing to "blog often."  Just be natural and when the urge happens sit down and write.  The rest of this will come with time.  I've been at it for 2 years but this is the first year where I've written more than once a month.  Very few people have ever read my posts and that's ok.  This is just a place where I can put down my thoughts - my thoughts - that are mine.

     Leave me a link to your blog in the comments section and I'll come over and visit.  Happy posting.

 

6 comments:

  1. Good post, as usual, Chris. I only dream to be as good as you. Here's my blog. Just getting started, though.
    http://stemteachers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job David. I am looking forward to seeing your posts and keep it going. You'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, Do you know that you can look at the sats of how many people view your blog through blogspot? OR you can install a widget through blogpatrol.com that will put a counter on your site. I don't have a teaching blog BUT I've got a blog about the cutest little boy in my world...www.casekeough.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Renee. I used to look at the stats but they were so boring and small I stopped. You DO have a pretty darn cure kid too. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful to read that you didn't blog regularly when you first started out and that not many people read your blog. I'm just starting my blog and, well, I am not very consistent with it. It took me a bit to figure out what I wanted to focus to be and so now I am feeling more comfortable. I feel like I've been given "permission" to just play with the blog instead of making it a chore. :-)

    Here's my blog. :-) http://muse-ings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by. I was amazed when I noticed that we had such similar names for our blogs. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete